Saturday, November 8, 2008

Wedding Dress #3


I fussed around with a number of different ideas for WD #3. The wedding was in Malibu, at a very nice ranch, so I wanted something pretty dressy. On the flip side, though, this wasn't a formal wedding, so I didn't want a gown.

This is another pattern I got from my grandmother. I love that this dress pattern is so simple and yet can be either formal or casual, depending on the fabrics used. A brocade would make this into a rich, luxuriant dress, but it would also work in a simple cotton print. As it happened, my grandmother had also given me several yards of a black and white print. A polyester mix, I think, judging by the very odd texture--one side is rather slinky and the other is almost ridged. When she initially gave it to me, I had no idea what to do with it, frankly. After all, black and white stripes on top of an arabesque flower pattern doesn't go with everything. It worked out well, though, when I paired it with a simple black for the bodice. Too bad the jacket pattern was missing. But I love that this dress, which fits perfectly, reminds me so much of my grandmother--her pattern and her fabric.

I'm not even sure how to describe that pattern--stripes and paisley?


No comments: